Board of Directors Minutes
Tennessee Hospital Association
May 1, 2014
President Reed called the meeting to order at 12:50 p.m.
Board Members present:Â Andrew Reed, Rick Valentine, Brandon Ward, Doug McQuary, Tommy Crowder, Joyce Noles, Lis Henley, Wallace Elliott and John Fitzsimmons
Board Members absent:Â Ricky Slack, Danny Houseright, Keith Douglas, Joseph Rike and John Combes
Others Present: Â Shannon Seaton, Jonathan Wood, Thomas Perkins, Danny Fleming, Lynn Thompson, Pam Kiestler and Andrew Hart
Motion by Rick Valentine to accept the April 3, 2014 TASA Board Minutes as written, a second by Joyce Noles, motion passed.
Presentations and Monthly Reports
Donna Tidwell – State EMS Director:
- Brandon Ward has been offered the open position in the ST EMS Office and he has accepted. Â She mentioned the large number of applicants and she believes that they have made the best decision in choosing Brandon.
- Donna appreciated the attendance for the MIH (Mobile Integrated Healthcare) meeting today. Â She summarized some of the points brought out in the meeting and reported there is nothing stopping the process but we do need to proceed with caution and make sure that the we do not fail in developing the community medic program. Â She emphasized the need for good communication with all the different agencies and to develop the most effective educational process.
- Rick Valentine â€“ Treasurer reported on the Financial Statement for May 1, 2014 (copy attached). Â Rick reported that we currently have a balance of $59,154.25. Â Rick reported that he had received an invoice from the lobbyist in the amount of $15,000.00 and requested instruction on paying this invoice.Â Motion made by Doug McQuary to pay the lobbyist bill in the amount of $15,000. Â Second by Joyce Noles.Â Motion Passed.
- Rick also reported that we had budgeted $6,000 for the Washington DC trip to attend the â€œEMS Day on The Hillâ€ event last March. Â We spent $4,996.05 and came under the budgeted in the amount of $1,003.95.
- There was a brief discussion on the proposed change of TASA financial year to the calendar year beginning on January 1st, rather than the fiscal year beginning on July 1st. Â The consensus was to leave it the way it is.
NAEMT/Washington Day on the Hill:
- Brandon Ward reported that there have been four additional House co-sponsors on the EMS Field Bill. Â There are still no sponsors in the Senate.
- Reimbursement:Â Nothing to report at this time.
- Equipment:Â Doug McQuary would like to have the speakers updated before the Reimbursement Conference.
- Legislative:Â No report.
- Audit/Budget:Â No report.
- Bylaws:Â No report.
- John reported that the Craig Morgan concert has been cancelled due to problems between EMS World and Peter Obermyer in securing sponsors for the event. Â John expressed disappointment with EMS World in their lack of cooperation in this matter. Â Doug McQuary also voiced his and Peterâ€™s frustration with EMS World. Â John recommends TASA should continue to support the EMS/EXPO conference and described the contract that needs to be signed between TASA and EMS World. Â A brief discussion on obtaining rooms early in preparation for the November 9th through 13th, 2014 EMS/EXPO. Â Pres. Reed will work with Ricky Slack getting room rates before the next TASA Board meeting.
- Motion made by Rick Valentine to sign the contract with EMS World, second by Wallace Elliott. Â Motion passed.
- Tommy Crowder explained a plan that he has been working on to be held during EMS/EXPO. Â He has developed a plan to have a (TASA Night Out) during the week on November 9th, 2014 in Nashville. Â He is working with a band to perform. Â The band will cost $1500. The venue is yet to be determined. Â Tommy is working with EMS World in planning this event. Â Tommy described having a coin designed with the TASA logo on one side and EMS/EXPO on the other side to be sold and used for admission to the event. Â He is working on getting sponsors. Â He has calculated the need for $5,000 in sponsorship to cover the expenses.
- Rick Valentine made a motion for Tommy to proceed with this plan with the stipulation that there will be no cost to TASA. John F. seconded the motion. Â Motion passed.
- Website UpgradeÂ (Chickenhouse Web Design):
- Motion by Rick Valentine to table this matter until Keith can be present and provide more details. A second by Joyce Noles, motion passed.
- Exhibit Booth:
- No progress to report at this time. Â Chad and John are working on this project.
- Definition of â€œOrganizationâ€ (Bylaws-membership):
- Needs decision before June 15th – No progress to report. Bylaws committee will continue to work on this and have a recommendation by the June meeting.
- TASA Lapel Pins:
- Motion made by John F./2nd by Rick V. to purchase 500 of the newly designed lapel pins, with the stipulation that the pins will be functionally designed to hang level and not spin if only one stud is provided, at the cost of $770. Roll call vote; with nine board members present six voting in favor, two abstained and the president not required to vote, the Motion passes.
- WebEx â€“ board meetings:
- Lis will set-up for the next meeting.
- Federal legislation wording for early retirement:
- Brandon and Tommy will work on this. Â Brandon explained that the language just needs to include Paramedics and EMTs.
- President Reed requested a nomination from west TN to fill the West Tennessee Grand Division Board Position currently held by Joseph Rike upon his request to be replaced. Â Pres. Reed stated that he would need a written resignation statement from Chief Rike.
- A brief discussion as to appointments to be made this month for the vehicles certification committee.
- Lynn Thompson announced the TEMSEA conference to be held July 16, 17 & 18, 2014 in Hilton East Hotel, Memphis, Tennessee.
Rick Valentine made motion to adjourn 1366 hrs.